Each Thursday, Kathleen Fulmor in the San Diego office sends out a “Thursday Positivity” message to all of the office staff. She’s in graduate school, working on her master’s degree in health care management. She often shares important messages she’s being exposed to along the way. This one about succeeding with no talent stuck out to me.
A couple of years ago, I noticed that customer service was really suffering. Most companies were relying on automation and technology, but were losing the “personal touch”. Instead of having a local contact for our payroll company, for example, we had a generic “team contact.” Often our requests went ignored, while our previous personal contact had always followed up quickly to answer our concerns. This is truly the downside of technological advancement and a drop in localization of service providers.
About that time, I started saying things like, “we can be the best agency around simply by answering the phone”, or “Just don’t stink at your job and you’ll rise to the top”. Of course, that’s an over simplification, but the ten tips below ring true. They come from Jon Gordon – He is a Best Selling Author and Keynote Speaker whose website is https://jongordon.com.
- Be On Time – Honor others by respecting their time. Earning respect starts by giving it.
- Show Up and Do the Work – If they praise you, show up and do the work. If they criticize you, show up and do the work. If no one even notices you, just show up and do the work. Just keep showing up, doing the work, and leading the way.
- Give Your Best In All That You Do – It doesn’t matter what everyone else is or isn’t doing. Focus on your contribution every day. When you give your best, you’ll inspire others to give their best too.
- Be Positively Contagious – Your attitude is contagious. Choose to be Vitamin C today. Look for opportunities to encourage and uplift those around you.
- Have an Attitude of Gratitude – Every day we have a choice. We can choose to be grateful and see the good in all that we have or we can let anger, fear, doubt, and insecurities rob us of our joy and the life we’re meant to live. The choice is yours today.
- Seek Solutions vs. Dwelling on Problems – How you see the world determines the world you see. When you seek solutions you see a world of possibilities and are able to overcome challenges.
- Have Passion – Passion fuels your purpose. The strongest may survive but it is the passionate that will thrive. Get excited today!
- Be Coachable – Stay humble and hungry and be a lifelong learner. The best of the best are always striving to get better and so should you.
- Do More Than What’s Required – Average effort generates average results. If you want more, do more. Even a little extra each day can create big results over time.
- Believe in Yourself – Stop listening to the self-sabotaging voices in your mind. Talk to yourself and feed the positive instead of listening to negative. You matter. You are capable. You can do great things. You are here for a reason.